Flash cards are one of the most useful revision techniques but many people don’t use flash cards effectively.
- Add images as well as words. It is scientifically proven that people remember images than words and also it makes the topic that you are revising more interesting.
- If possible add mnemonic devices – this is basically anything that helps you remember a piece of information. Examples of these include: Never Eat Shredded Wheat (North, East, South, West); I Picked My Apples Today (stages of mitosis); My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles (order of the planets orbiting the sun); Eat An Apple As A Night-time Snack (Seven continents). These mnemonic devices could be images as well.
- On every flashcard, there should be one question and one answer! Trust me this is very useful because it helped me a lot when using flashcards.
- Make sure you break down complex concepts of the topic you are studying into smaller simpler questions.
- When studying your flashcards, say it out loud.
- Make sure you study your flashcards from both sides.
Please follow and like us: